Friday, September 17, 2010

SKKS

Ahhh… Sungkyunkwan Scandal (SKKS). I might not be able to pronounce your name, nor am I confident enough to think that I’m spelling this right… but, oh, you definitely are amusing!

SKKS is a Korean drama (K-drama) series that airs on KBS channel in Korea, occupying the primetime Monday-Tuesday drama slot.

And, oh… I adore the series! 

It’s a fusion sageuk 

Sageuk – historical drama / play in Korean

and I find it to be such fun!

Synopsis taken off Movie Korean

This drama is set in Sungkyunkwan University during the Joseon era, revolving around the exploits and love stories of four youths. When her younger brother falls ill, Kim Yoon Hee enters the school in his place disguised as a boy in her desperation to find a way to support him, and becomes friends with Lee Sun Joon, extremely rich and the brains of the gang, playboy Goo Yong Ha and the rebellious Moon Jae Shin.

I was initially attracted to this series because of Song Joong Ki – he of Will it Snow for Christmas and the MC of Music Bank on KBS. SJK plays a playboy-ish kind of character, Goo Yong Ha, and I was looking forward to this since I can’t really put SJK and ‘playboy’ together in my head. Hehe. SJK, too, is one of the more notable young actors in K-drama land. I’ve always had a soft spot for his youthful, jambu giler face and deep, deep voice. Reminds you of another rising K-drama actor that I’m fond of, doesn’t it? (read: Jang Geun Seuk, hohohohoho~). 

Oh... and how random is this? SJK's Music Bank co-host, Seo Hyorim, is also a cast member of SKKS. She plays Ha Hyo Eun, Ha In Soo (a.k.a. the student president of Sungkyunkwan University)'s younger sister. Ha In Soo is basically salah seorang member baik Yong Ha at the beginning of SKKS. Aha. Dah lah Hyorim & Joong Ki muka pun ada iras-iras. How cute, the co-hosts acting in the same drama series :)

Micky Yoochun is, arguably, the most famous of the 4 leads. A member of the ultra-successful K-pop group DBSK (Dong Bang Shin Ki, The Rising Gods of the East), he’s had acting experience before with his fellow DBSK chums. He plays the aloof leader & resident brainiac… and is the main male lead, Lee Sun Joon. Initially, a lot of people were skeptical of Yoochun's ability to basically headline SKKS. After all, the previous K-drama headlined by a DBSK member (Yunho's 'Heading to the Ground') wasn't exactly a success. Plus, all the real-life drama surrounding DBSK and SM Entertainent that has the 5 boys splitting into 2 camps (JYJ and Yunho&Max) is uber confusing. Have the DBSK boys lost their golden touch??? Hohhhh... NEVER, say die-hard Cassies. Them boys & Cassiopeians are keeping the faith, y'all & <--- tetiba ramble pasal DBSK pulak dahhhh... :p


 

 Yoo Ah In


 
 Park Min Young

Rounding up the 4 leads is Yoo Ah In, an actor I’m not familiar with, as the rebellious and mysterious Moon Jae Shin. And Park Min Young as the main female character, Kim Yoon Hee.

Verdict? 

Oh my goodness… I think the last time I laughed so hard was while watching You’re Beautiful (YAB)! It’s love at first sight with SKKS. I loved everything – the actors, the use of background music (very the fusion, okay… ada satu tu bunyi macam beach song mana ntah… hahahahaha…) and the storyline. I like watching Yoon Hee run around acting as a guy, she’s so adorable! Those wide eyes of hers… hehehehe. And she’s spunky. And gorgeous. How odd is it that I think she looks prettier dressed as a guy? Hmm…

And Sun Joon? Yoochun doesn’t need to do much, really. In these initial episodes, Sun Joon’s pretty much expressionless, cold and haughty… not much to act out. So the jury’s still out on Micky Yoochun’s acting abilities. But I honestly think he’s doing pretty okay. Kudos to his acting coach, tho! I don’t think Yoochun is very good-looking, but he is undeniable attractive. That height… that build… something about his face is very pleasing. Hmm.

Shir says Micky Yoochun is the shy one. Ahhh… that explains part of his appeal, I suppose. His ‘reserved-ness’ does translate well on-screen, as part of Sun Joon’s personality.

Shy shy pun… bukan dia ke yang once dated After School’s Kahi? Pulling power, indeed!

Moon Jae Shin is suitably mysterious, impressive and scary. He doesn’t get that much screen time when compared to Joong Ki’s character in the first few episodes – Yoochun & Min Young tak payah nak pertikai lah, main couple, what – but he ‘eats up’ the scene, really. Nampaknya, lepas ni I kena cari pulak cerita lain Yoo Ah In berlakon. I definitely like what I see so far.

Ahhh... apparently, in the later episodes, there's more Jae Shin than Yong Ha. Alamakkk.... can I have equal screen time for both?

And… omo… how much do I love Song Joong Ki as Goo Yong Ha??? Perfectly casted, IMHO! I was grinning and laughing at Yong Ha’s evil, evil, naughty ways… I feel like pinching this guy. He’s deliciously nakal! That naughty smirk of his, his evil machinations… he reminds me of that classic, quintessential ‘rake’ you get in historical romance novels – seductive, sexy, wily, naughty, gorgeous, intelligent, good-natured, easygoing, slightly evil… but with a heart of gold. Of course, of course… always with a heart of gold. SJK gave me so many squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee worthy moments while watching SKKS, I’m tempted to kidnap him and keep him in my pocket :p

That scene when he hugged Yoon Hee on her first day at Sungkyunkwan was hilarious. Haha. Still one of the best scenes from the drama in my book.

I loved everything I’ve seen so far from SKKS – the gatal & evil Minister of War, Sun Joon’s dad who has conspiracies up his sleeve, the King who can be a tad unpredictable, the unconventional new Professor at Sungkyunkwan, the whole court / political conspiracy, the conflict between Sun Joon & the Student President… and especially, especially the student life at Sungkyunkwan.

I, for one, cannot wait for the next subbed episodes to be uploaded. Thank goodness for super-fast subbers! Feeding my K-drama addiction, all right. 

So this is me, waiting patiently for the next SKKS episode :)

/end spazzing ;p


No comments: